Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day Dilema

A student of mine came into my classroom this morning and shared with me his Valentine's Day woes from the day before.

"I left her gift in my locker!" he complained, "I can't believe I did that!"

"What did you get her?" I asked politely, afraid that he might have found a melted chocolatey mess in his locker this morning.

"Well, it was like this necklace, and it had rubies in it, and it was really pretty and cost me $235, but it was totally worth it, and we've been dating for 5 months, so I don't think she's going anywhere."

Keep in mind that these are 14 year olds! Let me repeat, after 5 months he already realizes she's not going anywhere? What kind of naive 9th grade fantasy is this? It took every ounce of strength I had not to openly laugh in this young man's face. Now, I am no cynic of love (and no romantic either), but I would bet every penny to my name that they are not together three months from now.

I did not mean to mock; this boy was very upset that he could not deliver his girlfriend's gift, and in an attempt to redirect the conversation I asked him what she got him.

He replied, "Nothing. She doesn't really like giving or receiving gifts."

Oh, so a ruby necklace worth your entire savings to date was your best option? For an eighth grader who doesn't like gifts??

I hope you got as much of a kick out of this as I did.

Happy V-Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment