Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Always an Explanation

I was not naive enough to believe that I had left all of the heartbreaking stories behind in my last school district, but I did not expect the variety of stories that my new school has to offer. There is a student in one of my classes that struggled to cope with my integration into the classroom. At first I took his insults, disturbances, and disrespect personally until I learned that he lives with a solitary parent who puts her habit before her children and that he has been fending for himself for years seeing time and time again how incompetent people can be at their roles in life. The adult figure that serves as his role model is a constant disappointment to him, and he assumes that her lack of effort and affection on his behalf is what is to be expected of adults as the rule, not as the exception. Despite his negative attitude, I have showed him nothing but kindness, and though I am sure that I am not the first educator to try this approach, his teacher told me today that since my arrival he has been on his best behavior all year. Alright! I'll take it! If what I am seeing is his best behavior then I know we have work to do, but I also know that he is ready to put in the effort to improve, and I am willing to meet him exactly where he is. I am again reminded that there is always an explanation; all you have to do is listen for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment